This article is intended for HMO members enrolled in an employer health insurance plan.
We’re trying to improve health care. One way we do that is working with the Illinois Surgical Quality Improvement Collaborative (ISQIC).
This collaborative includes:
- The Illinois and Metropolitan Chicago chapters of the American College of Surgeons
- The American College of Surgeons National Surgical Quality Improvement Program
- The Surgical Outcomes and Quality Improvement Center
- 55 Illinois hospitals
What Does ISQIC Do?
The ISQIC is a partnership that:
- Identifies, studies and reports on surgical care practices
- Gives hospitals detailed performance reports
- Equips these hospitals with tools to help deal with problem areas
What Are ISQIC’s Main Goals?
This partnership wants to reduce:
- The length of time patients stay in the hospital
- How often patients are admitted to the hospital more than once for the same health issue — during or after surgery
- Preventable deaths
The ISQIC is working to improve patient care throughout the state. If successful, the group could be a model for expansion to other Illinois hospitals. For more information, visit isqic.org.